Dealing With Black Bears

Advisory: My stories are true and I have a-lot of experience around the fury ninjas. I am NOT responsible for the outcome of your experience positive or negative.

The first time I was face to face with a black bear, I didn't know what they would do, how they acted or thought - at all. But I was surrounded by hard earned food, so I decided quickly that I would take my chance and stand my ground - the knives in my hands supported my reckless fortitude.

Since then I have had quite a number of encounters. The first thing to remember, is they would rather run than take a chance in a situation they are uncertain about. Initally, having a big knife on hand, axe or stick is helpful, but you wont use it; the items are psychological for your benefit. I am talking about a situation where there is a food reward for them, otherwise they wont bother you.

You may have to reach a poit where you hope the bears dont call your bluff as you are without any form of weapon. Hopefully, you wont be, stalking over to one thinking - "I dont know what I'm going to do when I get over there, but you better get out!". In which case, just keep holding your pace, his face will break and he'll run.

Will a black bear leave you alone if you scare him off before he tastes the "goods"? Usually. Loud soinds like a giant log whacked against another log, and a "get the fuck out of my camp!" should have you in the clear, provided its only one bear; at least for a day...

Black bears may challenge you. They will get pissy and make a show by knocking down surrounding foliage. But inside they cant help but flee before a  physical charge if you stand you ground. Wild animals dont want to get hurt, unless the there is a competition for mating rights with a known foe - I assume) so eventually its a matter of making a show of agrivation for them. They will try to scare you off before they hurt you, even for your food they are after.

You have to be in tune, reading each others minds. They just want a little food, but if they have a taste they will likely not leave you entirely alone until the food is gone.

Why the name furry ninjas? You'll wake up, 3am in the morning, right next to the self employed cleanup crew chowing on the best bits. Your meticulously placed items - a mess. "GET THE FUCK OUT!", and off he will bound with his furry butt a-trail'n.

They are surprisingly quick to learn if you designate a refuse or "his portion". They can be respectful of a boundary, even if they learn you likely wont hurt them; but sometimes, they try to push their luck. You have to know when things are getting too heated and its time to leave with the bootie'.

A thing to consider, a bear in the middle of nowhere is much safer than a bear encountered near a common camp. They have no idea what you are or what you will do, if they find you in the boonies. At a common camp they may identify you as a source of food they might be able to simply scare off - prove them wrong.

Be kind though. It helps to not be selfish with the goods. Designate a donation ground 50 yard away from meat camp. Take some goods there daily untill drying is done and I dont mean just the garbage. If they try to push their luck at you camp aroud 10pm - yell "Get out of here bear!". They get the idea soon enough.

These have been words to consider, as, if they smell meat or gut - they will come. Know though, they only want some delicious protein food that they cant acquisition on their own, and they are only searching in their curious way
Keep in mind, they are the ones who have to spend the winter naked, raise young, and avoid being shot.

Also remember, you dont want a bear to become comfortable around people - we shoot them; so remind them that you arent a source of easy food or their friend.

If you have an instinctive idea of what an animal is thinking, trust it, weather its a bear, bee, or bison.

They are innocent and ultimately helping.

Comments

Popular Posts