Dont Destroy Yello Jacket/Hornet nests, But You Can Eat Them.

 If you don't like mosquitoes, leave the hornets alone; they eat prolific pest isects.

For the first time in my bushmanship career, I found a lagoon where I could count on my two hands how many times I was stung by mosquitoes in the four days I was there. I wore shorts - outdoors - without repellent, in the boonies of Alberta - unheard of. Nearly no mosquitos or any other biting bug - and this place I would have guessed would have been overrun. 

What was everywere however, were yellow jackets. You couldn't look without seeing them crawling on leaves and all over the floor looking for bugs to bring back to the colloney - prey bugs which included, mosquitoes. 

When traversing the woods, keep an eye on were you step as you could land a foot in one of their ground nests. While in this yellow jacket infested area, I wasn't stung more than maybe a couple times; they will leave you alone if you leave them alone. 

As the title says, if you need the food, you can also step on them gently, and eat them - not much of a meal however. Skunks and or bears raided many of their ground dwellings I found.

Comments

Popular Posts