The Knock Bead (Archery)

 For years I used a brass, fixed knock bead on my bow string; this indicates where the knock on my arrow must sit on the string. One day it disappeared during practice; I didnt replace it. 


My understanding of what an arrow and bow are and how they work has since heavily increased. I see the bow and arrow for what they are independentanly — a string under tension and a small spear with wings. It’s up to me to slowly understand how these two items work together to do what all archers want.  

Just because the bead is gone, it does not imply that I can nock anywhere along the string and expect accuracy. For this reason, after expirementing without the fixed bead or something similar, you may choose to replace it. The knock must be at a working point along the string for accuracy; you will know this by how the arrow feels on the string at draw.  If it’s off slightly, your arrow will not fire well or you will have to think in the moment how to push the bow so the arrow will shoot true.

Knockless bow string archery



Comments

Popular Posts