Knife Rust

I like high carbon, chromeless, steel for cutting tools; they are strong and can tend to take a heck of a beating. Because stainless steel is composed of around 15% chromium, they aren’t affected by water or acids like carbon streels, but they are brittle and can break easily if used for chopping wood or battonning and thus should stay in the kitchen. 

My preference is for paint free, high carbon steel in particular as I dont have to worry about chemicals in my food and the rusty, darkening of the metal can indicate weather the tool is sharp and ready to go.
 
Oiling the steel after use is wholy unnecessary and wasteful.

I dont have many cutting tools on the go at once. I have one, use it, and stick to it until I move on, so the tool is used on regular basis. 

If I don’t oil it and say rust collects on the knives that I put away, even for extended periods, (years to months) the rust wont eat the steel such that the tool breaks apart like the paneling on a vw.

You will get bored with a purchased knife long before rust will affect the functional value of the tool. 

The patina that collects is like the knives battle scars, they show it was used  and they make it look good with age . 

Just whipe after use.

Comments

Popular Posts